The Vietnamese kitchen at Pho Phuong was recently closed after a senior Alberta Health Services official inspected the establishment.
The inspector found more than 10 violations at the Pho Phuong Chinese Cuisine restaurant located at 11625 Elbow Drive SW #102 in Calgary that could be harmful or dangerous to public health.
“An abundance of mouse droppings, urine and nesting material were observed in various areas of the food establishment,” the report read. AHS written order.
“The food product was contaminated by mice.”
There were holes in a packet of fried onions, a packet of spices and a carton of salt, the order continued.
This AHS shutdown order, including the verbal order, was issued on May 10.
There were many other unhealthy conditions found by the inspector, such as “an effective pest control program was not in place” and “there were no pest control records available”.
“The detergent and sanitizer bottles connected to the dishwasher were empty,” the AHS order reads.
The report also said the cooked spring rolls were stored on the counter at room temperature.
“An accumulation of grease and food debris was noted in remote areas.”
Before the restaurant could reopen, the owners had to undertake and diligently pursue the realization of several work-related changes, such as engaging the services of a professional pest control company to inspect, treat and eradicate the food premises of mice.
Several cleaning changes were also to be made before reopening, such as the rejection of “any mouse-contaminated food products”.
Current order status on the AHS website is inactive, which means “tThe order is no longer in effect because the necessary repairs have been made.”
Dished reached out to the management and ownership team for comment.
Pho Phuong Vietnamese cuisine
Address: 2-11625 Elbow Drive SW, Calgary