Amoebiasis is a infectious disease which is mainly caused by the protozoan Entameoba histolytic. This is usually contracted by ingesting water or food contaminated by amoebic cysts. Amoebiasis occurs when the parasites are taken in by mouth. People with amoebiasis have Entamoeba hisolytica parasites in their faeces. Amoebiasis can affect people living anywhere in the world, but is most common where living conditions are crowded or there is poor hygiene and sanitation.
Amoebiasis is common in parts of Africa, Central America, South America, India and Southeast Asia. The parasite can cause ulcers to form in the intestine resulting in amoebic dysentery. Under these circumstances the diarrhoea becomes watery and bloody, the abdominal pain becomes more severe, and fever develops. Amoebiasis occurs when Entamoeba histolytica parasites are taken in by mouth and the most common way this happens is by person-to-person spread.
Amoebiasis is an intestinal parasitic illness occurs by eating food or drinking water contaminated with faeces, containing the parasite, Entamoeba histolytica. About 90% of infections are asymptomatic, and the remaining 10% produce a spectrum of clinical syndromes ranging from dysentery to abscesses of the liver or other organs. The most common type of amoebic infection is asymptomatic cyst passage. Even if infected, some are only carriers and do not suffer from it. This shows that the ultimate cause of suffering is hidden than the exposed causative factor i.e. amoeba. Sometimes sigmoidoscopy is done, which is a procedure in which the doctor uses a lighted, flexible tube to look inside the lower part of the colon (large intestine). Most patients with liver abscess are febrile and have right-upper-quadrant pain, which may be dull or pleuritic in nature and radiate to the shoulder.
Amoebiasis can also be spread by:
Causes of Amoebiasis
Many factors affect Amoebiasis, some of the common causes are listed below:
What are the symptom of Amoebiasis ?
The most common symptoms of amoebiasis are diarrhoea (which may contain blood), stomach cramps and fever. Rarely, amoebiasis can cause an abscess (infection) in the liver. After infection, it may take a few days, several months or even years before you become ill but it is usually about two or four weeks. To trace the cause of the illness, it is necessary to know what you ate and drank and where you travelled in the weeks before you became ill. In majority of cases, there present very little symptom or no symptoms. But there are many sign and symptoms by which we can detect the disease, some are :
Sign, tests and diagnosis of Amoebiasis
Anyone who develops Amoebiasis should see a doctor as soon as possible and ensure that they tell the doctor they have been travelling in the tropics, as amoebic dysentery does not normally occur in the UK. In the presence of the classic symptom of Amoebiasis, the diagnosis can often be made by means of a stool analysis.
Amoebiasis is treated with metronidazole. Some effective treatment measures are as follows:
Disclaimer : All information on www.healthatoz.info is for educational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, please consult your doctor.